Wednesday, July 6, 2011

On Friendship

Seize the day, Lauren!

I hear my inner voice shouting to me often during the day if I find myself living in fear or the what-ifs of this ever changing, unsafe world. It beckons me to stop and give time, love and service to those around me. In a sense, to me "seizing the day" has meant "be thankful, child."

We spent the Fourth of July with some of our best friends like we have done for the past few years and it is always sweet to just be with them. This year, we were missing one dear couple because they moved to London. Through their absence, I was reminded that our time here together is short. We are not promised our comfortable life together forever on earth. God may call us to different places (gasp!) and we may move on...

But, in my reflection of what friendship is, Matt brought up some interesting thoughts from C.S. Lewis:

Christ, who said to the disciples "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you," can truly say to every group of Christian friends "You have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another." The Friendship is not a reward for our discrimination and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauties of all the others. They are no greater than the beauties of a thousand other men; by Friendship God opens our eyes to them. They are, like all beauties, derived from Him, and then, in a good Friendship, increased by Him through the Friendship itself, so that it is His instrument for creating as well as for revealing.


Friendship is a unique kind of love. I hope to experience it ever more so deeply as I grow older...

The common quest or vision which unites friends does not absorb them in such a way that they remain ignorant or oblivious of one another. On the contrary it is the very medium in which their mutual love and knowledge exist. One knows nobody so well as one's "fellow." ... If, at the outset, we had attended more to him less to the thing which our Friendship is "about," we should not have come to know or love him so well. You will not find the warrior, the poet, the philosopher or the Christian by staring in his eyes as if he were your mistress: better fight beside him, read with him, argue with him, pray with him.


Better fight beside him, read with him, argue with him, pray with him. To know the inner thoughts and ideals of another person is to begin to be friends. To relate to those thoughts and ideals is to be friends. I'm thankful for my precious friends whom we relate to and have the cornerstone of our friendship in our Triune God.

3 comments:

Andrew Shepherd said...

I love this, Lauren.

We're so thankful for you and Matt.

Rob said...

I like this.

Rob said...

But seriously... great thoughts Lauren (and Matt). We love you guys!